The weird uncle

He's not actually that weird, although his sense of humor is definitely off-beat (with a distinctly sadistic streak when he was younger...once had my father stick his finger in the ice cube crusher). It's just that when you consider the facts, he kind of sticks out:

1) He's the one non-twin among five sons.

2) He moved his family out to Missouri, whereas everyone else on my father's side of the family lives in California, and all but us in southern California.

3) His family are the only ones on my father's side who don't at least profess to be Christians.

He'll do things like go to college and earn the equivalent of a degree, but drop out when he's nearly done rather than take the gen. ed. courses.

Also, he installed Michael Jackson's home theater system. I think that's pretty cool. Heck, I even make that my claim to fame sometimes: "Uncle installed Michael Jackson's home theater stuff."

Anyways, there is this thing he says sometimes that makes me laugh and makes sense to me. I like to say it to myself sometimes when I feel like I'm procrastinating:

"The task expands itself to the time alloted to it."

(And then I realize I'm just being efficient with my time.) Pretty wise, eh? Pretty sensical?

Do you lot have any favorite personal or family sayings? Or weird relatives?

10 comments:

hwalk 7/29/2008 4:57 PM  

That's a really good quote.

Most of my relatives are weird. Smart, but weird.

Ani Isilee 7/29/2008 8:28 PM  

I have really smart/weird/sardonic relatives. Especially on my dad's side. My mom says I take after his side of the family...

My sister and I have a favorite quote we like to say all the time. "They'll find out how weird we are! They'll think we need to be committed."

Q 7/29/2008 8:41 PM  

I have an insane aunt. She actually believes that Hurricane Katrina was caused by a weather machine in the posession of the US government, and she worries that some country in the Middle East has a weather machine, too. Yikes. And that's not even the worst of it.

My cousin's motto is, "If you're not cheating, you're not trying!"

odessa 7/29/2008 10:46 PM  

i like that quote. he reminds me of one of my uncles too. my uncle is also very smart but he gambled all of his money away and finally my aunt left him (after 30 years of marriage). now he is still gambling with nary a care in the world.

Sarah Louise 7/30/2008 8:01 AM  

My father says something like that ALL the time. I don't think I have any living weird relatives, but I did have a distant cousin who was a recluse. He owned a bunch of Arby restaurants in the Wilkes-Barre area of PA.

and "uncle installed Michael Jackson's home theatre stuff," is sort of a touch with fame. So in the six degrees of separation, you're two degrees from Michael Jackson? Pretty cool (and weird.)

Sigh. When I was in h.s., girls had crushes on MJ. Who knew he would go bad?

Cuileann 7/30/2008 11:39 AM  

I like that one a lot, Ani. :D

Q - Wow. O_O

Heh heh heh, SL...it really must have been something to see his fall from glory, though.

Enna Isilee 7/30/2008 12:22 PM  

My family has a MILLION sayings. So many, we actually made a T-shirt with all of them.

"But you LOVE peas."
"RD2D"
"Zat is not my dog."

Erin 7/30/2008 3:19 PM  

I think, on at least one side of the family, *my* family's the weird ones. :D
The other side's a bit more even.

Fee 7/30/2008 4:41 PM  

Oh, yes. Weird relatives. I have one... a bit ashamed. Big guy in American Nazi party... he died, though... my family basically renounced him (it was like 50 years ago)

{this is glamorous} 7/30/2008 6:59 PM  

Did he really install Michael Jackson's home theater system?

And thanks for the comment on my site :)

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

  © Blogger templates Brooklyn by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP