A mild case of geographic anomie.


Landing in Chicago was a bit of a shock to my system after a week and a half in small-town New Hampshire. The idea of going out into the suburbs sounded even worse, so I procrastinated catching my train for several hours. Financial districts are so strange at night, no matter what city you're in — the reverse of bedroom communities, dead after dark. A late summer storm hit; I chose a closed cafe and sat in lotus on one of their tables under the awning for a while. Pretending to be a person who minds the rain.

3 comments:

Jenica 9/13/2011 8:53 PM  

I've only been in Chicago once, and at night too. Magical. But that was the industrial district, not the financial.

red-handed 9/14/2011 9:04 AM  

It sounds like you were stepping out of time ...

Holly 9/15/2011 9:23 AM  

Jenica - Really? You should come back this fall/winter, and tell me when you do. :)

red-handed - Beneath my awning? Yes, I suppose in a way.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

  © Blogger templates Brooklyn by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP